Rainbow Rope Wall Hanging




I saw this on Etsy and Pinterest and fell absolutely in LOVE with this!  I wanted to purchase it for my niece, but thought maybe I can make it myself.  I got directions from this website: http://www.puresweetjoy.co.za/rope-rainbow-diy/

Like Pure Sweet Joy says, this is not the quickest DIY but it is well worth the time for a one of kind piece.  SO, there are a couple of things I did differently.  First of all, I chose thicker yarn than the thin floss that she used. I actually liked the way it turned out with the thicker yarn, but this is where you can put your own creative spin on it and experiment with different sizes, types, colors, and textures of yarn. After standing in the yarn section at my local craft store, I found that my favorite brand of yarn is "Loops & Threads". The quality is soooooo nice. And after this project, it will be the only thread I buy!

The other difference is that after I finished making the rainbow, I knotted the fringe ends for a more unique look.  I love the way it adds even more texture that way.  I LOVE IT!  What do you think?

Here's a list of things you will need. I took 'Pure Sweet Joy's' list and just added my own comments to it. I hope you find it helpful. The rest of the directions are as is so just follow what she says on her blog.

Thick rope - I ordered mine on Amazon - SGT Knots 3/4" x 10 feet, Natural (I used all of it for this project)
Yarn - I used sizes 3 & 4 in varying colors - like I mentioned above, my favorite brand is Loops & Threads
Wire - I used 18 gauge wire
Thread - just all purpose polyester thread
Curved upholstery needle & thimble - I don't know how I would have sewed the layers together with this needle and the thimble really saved my thumbs when pushing the needle through the thick layers of rope.
Scissors - I used PVC cutting scissors to cut my thick rope and fabric scissors for cutting the thread, yarn, and trimming the fringe
Wire cutting pliers
Double stick tape - I found that this was nice to use instead of just regular tape because it helped with keeping the thread in place as well as keeping the wire in place. 2 for the price of 1!
Ribbon - any scrap ribbon works here

Trying to decide the color order - option #1
Option #2





A must - this made sewing the ropes together so much easier!





happy crafting <3 


Comments

Popular Posts